Zodiac Ranger Suction, previously known as Barracuda Ranger is a suction side automatic pool cleaner that is used for above ground swimming pools. This model effectively eliminates any pestering flapper noise, thanks to its one moving part technology. It removes dirt, leaves and other debris in a swift and seamless manner. Zodiac ranger has the capabilities required to even clean pools with dishes out bottoms up to 72 inches. After great research, we have rated this model 4/5 due to its performance, durability, effectiveness, ease of use and installation as well as affordability.
Here, we shall take a closer look at key features of Zodiac Ranger as well as some pros and cons. We have also selected three alternatives that provide near similar performance to Zodiac Ranger.
- It is easy to install and use. Ensure that you read its instructional manual for better results
- Comprises of a simple design yet elegant design
- Quiet and quick operation – does not make any flapping noise
- Cost effective
- Comes pre-assembled and includes 32 feet of feed hose
- Its unique deflector wheel helps prevent it from getting tangled up on steps, corners, or ladders
- Effectively cleans above-ground swimming pools including dished out bottoms up to 72 inches
- Comes with a one year warranty that covers abrasion process and manufacturing defects on cleaner and hoses
- Your pool filter will require being cleaned more often
- Big debris such as rocks and leaves might clog up skimmer and cause your device to function poorly
- Zodiac Ranger is armed with an AG disc that allows it to glide effortlessly along the bottom of your pool, up the sides as well as around steps. This feature ensures that your entire pool receives a thorough cleanup each time.
- It also comprises of a Flowkeeper valve and insta-Skim compact self-adjusting flow control valve which automatically regulates water flow, ensuring incredible performance.
- One moving part technology eliminates any hammer or flapper noise. This technology allows Zodiac Ranger to perform quietly, quickly and effectively
- As earlier mentioned, Zodiac-Ranger comes pre-assembled with a unique deflector wheel that allows it to maneuver away from obstacles and prevent it from getting caught on steps, ladders, etc
- Comes with a 4 ½ hose connector and a 32-foot feed hose
- Its system is built to pick up dirt, debris, bugs, twigs, leaves and even small pebbles with just one moving part
About Zodiac Ranger
Zodiac Ranger is made for cleaning above ground swimming pools with firm sides. This means that it might not perform effectively when used to clean Intex or soft-sided pools. This model connects directly to its skimmer and pool pump system. The diaphragm is the only moving part and it keeps pool cleaner moving. Zodiac-Ranger will remove all debris from your pool floor is a swift and quiet manner.
This model can be used for cleaning a vinyl pool surface as well. However, it’s advisable for you to take a closer look at vinyl lining before you install this device – for maximum performance, there should be no stones, roots or wrinkles underneath vinyl lining. When a user treats their water with chemicals, it’s recommended to wait a few hours after super-chlorination before using your cleaner again as harsh chemicals may cause damage to some of Zodiac’s plastic components. This will ensure that your model lasts for a long time and delivers good performance each time.
This device comes pre-assembled. All you’ll need to do is attach hoses to pool skimmer. No tools or special plumbing are required. Simply submerge cleaner body beneath water surface after you’ve connected required parts.
Note: To prevent air from entering the pool pump system, keep cleaner body and hose sections free from air at all times
The Ranger has almost no moving gear or parts except for its diaphragm which reduces maintenance and any audible noise. This model comprises of a flow keeper valve that helps regulate water flow. Its valve allows pool cleaner and pool pump to run smoothly. It does not need any extra booster pump in order to vacuum pool floor. Its extra-large wheel deflector keeps it from getting caught in corners or on steps. All in all, its design and build work well together to ensure maximum effectiveness in performance.
How Does it Compare?
Hayward 900 Wanda the Whale is an above ground automatic cleaner that comes inclusive of a unique turbine/ gearing system that provides constant balanced water flow. It operates in a quiet and gentle movement across pool bottom. This model has an advanced contoured head design that allows a steering pattern to be completed in minimal time. Its deluxe bumper ring minimizes friction for easy movement away from walls. This item is a good alternative for anyone looking to save a few bucks. Granted it does not perform as well as Zodiac ranger, it still holds its own pretty well, especially if you consider its price.
A good option for those looking for a cheap alternative to The Ranger is Telsa 30 Rechargeable. This is a battery-operated device that features a large debris cone with resistant stainless steel mesh, an interchangeable clip-on handle and connector. It has the capability of quickly vacuuming debris from small to medium pools and spas. Its lithium battery provides a constant full power suction of minimum 30 minutes on a full charge. It’s highly affordable and a good choice for anyone working on a tight budget.
Finally, we have selected Dolphin Escape Robotic Above-Ground Pool Cleaner as our last pick. This model is expensive and comes packed with amazing features such as a SmartNav 2.0 Robotic scanner, Dual 24-volt DC motor, a 40’ cable length, and much more. This model will keep your pool’s floor clean of dirt and algae, thanks to its HyperBrush technology – it not only removes debris but will scrub your floors as well. It comprises of an unparalleled dual 24-volt DC motor that is incredibly powerful and highly efficient. This item is lightweight and comprises of a quick 1.5-hour cleaning cycle, making it a good choice for above-ground swimming pools. However, it’s highly expensive when compared to Zodiac-Ranger.
Have you ever used Zodiac-Ranger before? What was your experience? We would love to hear from you so do leave us a comment below.