How to Remove Copper from Pool Water?

It’s a common problem: Copper in pool water. If you’re like most people, you’ve pondered the question “Why do I have copper in my pool?” The answer is that it is present in many types of metal objects and can be released into the environment by corrosion.

Copper is a metal that can be found in some pool water. Copper has been known to cause problems for swimmers, such as skin irritation and eye stinging. It can also cause stains on the plaster of your pool walls and floor, which can lead to an unattractive looking pool.

You may also be wondering “How to remove copper from pool water?” Well, this blog post will provide some helpful insights on how to do just that!

How to Remove Copper from Pool Water

Why would I have copper in my pool Water ?

  • Copper is found in pool water when certain chemicals are not completely balanced and the copper levels get too high. This can happen if there’s an imbalance of calcium, sodium or pH.
  • Copper can also be found in some plumbing pipes. Not all systems are made from copper but if you have a metal wire, bronze or iron pipe it’s possible that there is still small amounts of copper mixed into the water.
  • It Copper can be found in brass fittings, metal wire or bronze pipes and it’s a natural balancing agent for chlorine.
  • If there is a leak, it can contaminate your pool and make it look green or blue.
  • The brass fittings contain tiny traces of phosphorous and zinc which can sometimes break down to create copper when exposed to chlorine over time.

Why is lowering swimming pool copper so important?

  • Copper is a metal that can corrode and cause damage to pool equipment. When it is present in a pool or spa, the water will become cloudy and green.
  • Lowering the copper levels in your pool will increase chlorine effectiveness and reduce the possibility of green water.
  • The lower the copper level, the less likely you are to have algae growth.
  • The less copper your pool has, the more likely you are to have a healthy balance of bacteria.
  • Copper can also cause staining on surfaces exposed to water and make it difficult for chlorine to do its job effectively.
  • Copper is a metal that can cause skin and eye irritation.
  • It may cause respiratory problems if inhaled or ingested.
  • To much copper in the pool water can make hair green or blue.

How to lower the copper level in your swimming pool

Shock treatment is recommended if there’s only one or two pieces of brass fittings like plumbing valves on your equipment, as it will quickly remove most of the metal that contributes towards high levels of copper. If you don’t want to shock treat then make sure all other metals such as stainless steel and aluminum do not come into contact with chlorine bleach because they can cause an oxidation reaction which creates more copper! You should also use a metallic sequestering agent when shocking to prevent this from happening.

Furthermore, if too much copper is present in the water after treatment with a copper-removing product such as AquaClear Copper Remover or Diozone Calcium/copper remover, then that means there’s still an underlying problem which needs inspection and repair – like leaks or corroding equipment parts. You might be experiencing other problems with your pool chemistry besides just high levels of copper; here’s what they could be: pH imbalance (increase), calcium hardness (decrease) & high chlorine levels (increase).

Testing of copper presence in you swimming pool water is available at a local pool supplies retailer, or you can buy your own test kit.

Know More on VacuumHunt
How to Lower Phosphate Levels in Pool?
Best Pool Vacuum for Inground Vinyl Pool
Homemade Phosphate Remover For Pools
How to Remove Iron from Pool Water?

How to test copper in your swimming pool water

Fill the test tube with water to approximately one inch from the top of the tube. Add two drops of reagent B and shake gently for 30 seconds, if blue, copper is present in your pool water at a level greater than or equal to 0.08 ppm (parts per million). If more then this amount was detected during testing it may be indicative of other problems which need inspection and repair such as leaks or corroding equipment parts.

Furthermore, you can check the copper level with the below product in a second.

AquaChek 661455 Iron Test Strip

The test is very easy to do, requiring only a few drops of water and one strip per sample. Results are shown within seconds on the color chart provided with each bottle of AquaChek® test strips.

Industrial Test Systems 481348 Copper 3 in 1 Pool Check

The Copper 3-in-1 Pool Check test strip kit has been designed to help you easily and accurately detect levels of copper, pH and total alkalinity in your pool water with a simple dip-and-read procedure. Each kit contains 20 tests for all three parameters that are easy to read with optimized color coding that makes them suitable for both technical and nontechnical users alike.

Is copper in pool water dangerous?

Well, a high level of copper is never allowed in your pool water. It will make your pool water unhealthy, dirty and look green/ cloudy. It can also cause stains over the pool water. So, try to keep the pool water balanced. 

What causes too much copper in pool water?

Copper can be produced in your water for various reasons. If your pool water lost its chemical balance, copper would increase to a high level. Suppose you allow fertilizer wastage/extra industrial chemicals to run off into your pool water. In that case, it will cause too much copper.

How much copper is too much in the pool?

You should not allow the copper level to rise more than 1.00 PPM. However, the minimum level is 0.2 PPM. Anything more than 1.00 PPM will hit the danger level for pool water. You better check the copper level regularly and take good maintenance to avoid such issues. 

Does copper stop algae growth?

Yes, copper can damage, kill and stop the growth of algae in your pool water. Algae is a type of plant, and plants can not bare copper. Copper prevents them from getting essential minerals from the water. As they don’t get crucial elements, it harms their photosynthesis system. As a result, it will stop algae growth.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.