Just like any other type of floor, laminate floors also require the right maintenance. Waterproof laminate floors are not hard to clean if you follow the right steps. For liquid spills, it is essential to ensure that you clean them right away. You can use dilute floor cleaners to maintain these floors clean. However, avoid harsh chemicals, abrasive tools, or cleaners because they can affect the floors.
If you are looking for some tips on how to clean waterproof laminate floors, I have provided you with some tips. After going through this guide, I believe it will be useful and help you clean your laminate floors the right way.
- 1 How to Clean Waterproof Laminate Floors?
- 1.1 1. General Cleaning
- 1.2 2. Using Hot Water
How to Clean Waterproof Laminate Floors?
There are many ways you can use to clean laminate floors, but this doesn’t mean that they all work well. The following are the best ways in which you can maintain your waterproof laminate floors sparkly clean.
1. General Cleaning
When it comes to general cleaning, follow these tips.
Regular sweep the floor
- This is done to remove dirt and the debris from any cracks available and the crevices. Even though laminate floors are scratch-resistant, excess dirt, debris, and hair can cause scratches if left on the floor for a more extended period.
- A vacuum with a soft brush attachment is advisable to use than a dry dust mop. Standard floor brush should not be used in general cleaning of the floor because the stiff, straw-like bristles can damage the surface.
- Sweep the floor in the direction in which the tiles were laid. This is to allow picking of debris that falls between the grooves of the floor.
Clean up spills immediately
- Here, use a sponge or a cloth to clean up and dry any liquid spills on the floor immediately. Do not allow any liquid to stay on the floor for a long time since this will damage the protective wear layer of the floor.
- Also, you can soak any liquid with a dry cloth, dampen the cloth or sponge before spot leaning the location of the spill to do away with the residue remaining on the floor.
- Always don’t allow the area to remain wet but ensure drying the spot with a dry, soft cloth.
- Stick to a mop for deep cleaning, not a steam cleaner or buffer
- This is because laminate floors are not as strong as other floors, and it can be damaged easily while using cleaners like a steam cleaner, buffers, and also the polishers.
- Some floors may look dingy, in this case, use a mop and some elbow grease for proper cleaning only that this can take several passes.
Use vinegar or a mild detergent in case of more cleaning power
- This is an option using a commercial product that’s is prescribed for use in laminate floors. Always stay away from using the products that will leave the floor shiny because they can cause a waxy buildup on the floors. Also, pine-scented products make the floor to have dull, soapy residue.
2. Using Hot Water
You can also clean laminate floors using hot water. Follow these steps do your cleaning the right way.
Fill a bucket with hot water
- The water should not be steaming hot but more than being lukewarm. A thorough wet wash should be performed every few short periods or after it gets muddy and dirty.
- Hot water is often considered one of the best ways of cleaning the laminate floors because, after proper usage and cleaning, it does not leave the floor with steaks.
Soak the mop
- Soak the mop and then wring it perfectly to leave it mildly damp before cleaning.
- Dip a sponge mop in hot water and wring it out so that it only remains mild damp before you use it.
Thorough mop the floor
- Cover the entire floor, starting from the center outwards.
Dry the floor
- If the floor is partly moist, it can be left to air dry. To avoid scratching the floor, avoid using abrasive cloth.
- The other methods of cleaning the floor may include the use of vinegar and the use of gentle soaps. In case of problem stains like chewing gum, you can use a plastic knife before moping and not a metal object.
Waterproof laminate should be taken care of in a more thorough way compared to other floors. Always avoid the use of steam cleaners as this causes severe damage to the floor. With the above tips, I believe it will be easy to clean your waterproof laminate floors with ease.
Another important thing that you should do is to trim the nails of your pets to prevent damaging the floor through scratches. If the pets have long nails, they might end up scratching the floor when they are walking or playing in the house.