However, how do you know that you’ve found the best handheld vacuum cleaner that you can get? Here are a few things to consider:
Things to Consider Before Buying the Best Handheld Vacuum Cleaners
- Price: Consider how much you are willing to pay for your handheld vacuum, a figure that will depend on how large your home is, how many times you clean it, and how many other cleaning appliances you also have. If this vacuum is going to be your main method for cleaning your home, you’ll probably be willing to pay more to get a better-quality model that can withstand more use.
- Size: Although lightweight handheld vacuums are all relatively small, there is still some variation in size, so you should consider what you want as well as what your home can reasonably accommodate. For example, for a larger house, you can probably fit a larger handheld vacuum into your closet or wherever you plan to store it.
- Quality: Some brands are higher-quality than others, and so you’ll want to make sure that the vacuum you’re buying is from a well-known manufacturer rather than a brand you haven’t heard of before. This is so that you can ensure that you have a product that will last, rather than one that will just fall apart after a few uses.
- Features: How complex do you want your vacuum to be? The features it has are up to you, as it really depends on what you are looking for from your cleaning implement – for example, do you want it to be portable/wireless? Do you want to have numerous settings for different messes, or a special charging wall hanger?
- Reviews: Before buying a vacuum, read the reviews that people have left on it – this will advise you as to the aspects listed above by letting you know whether something is of high quality or not. You can find reviews online using websites such as Amazon or Google Shopping.
- Other considerations: Think about the needs of your family and household, as well as how many people will be borrowing this vacuum, before purchasing a model that you plan to have for a long time.
Our Picks – Best Handheld Vacuum Cleaners
Dyson V7 Trigger Handheld VacuumReview
This Dyson best handheld vacuum is known for its strength; the Dyson V7 digital motor allows it to run for up to 20 minutes of continuous suction, as well as to vacuum powerfully and completely. Furthermore, its design makes it easier to hold as it contours to the shape of your hand.
- Maximum power mode allows you to use higher suction power for up to six minutes, in case you need to capture a particularly difficult patch of dust or crumbs.
- The center of gravity is located towards the grip, which makes this vacuum easier to handle with one hand.
- This vacuum increases airflow to the maximum it can go using two tier radial cyclone filters. More airflow means that the device can capture more fine dust than other devices, which makes it especially helpful if you’re cleaning surfaces such as coffee table tops or counters, that might have a lot of fine particles.
- You need to buy the tool kit for this vacuum separately, which stacks up in terms of cost and convenience.
- The trigger releases automatically, which can be helpful if you are just cleaning in short bursts, but for sustained periods of vacuuming, you will find your finger getting tired from holding the trigger down.
BLACK + DECKER 16 volt Lithium Cordless Dust Buster Hand Vac Review
This cordless handheld vacuum stands out for its combination of low price and high quality – and as a result, it’s a perfect pick for those who don’t plan to do too much vacuuming, but want to have it on hand for emergencies or quick cleanups. It’s especially popular in college dorms and small apartments due to its compact size and easy charging base.
- The charge on this vacuum holds up to 18 months, so it’s great for infrequent users who might take a long time in between charges.
- Despite its long-lasting lithium ion battery, this vacuum is lightweight and thus is easy to hold with just one hand.
- The translucent bagless dirt bowl makes it easy to see when the vacuum is full and needs to be emptied.
- Save energy with this vacuum’s Smart Charge Technology, which uses up to 50% less energy than other vacuums.
- The filter stays clean with cyclonic action through the body of the vacuum, which keeps pushing air through.
- If you’re looking for a more powerful vacuum, this isn’t it – one of the costs of it being lightweight is that it can’t pick up as much at one time as other, more powerful vacuums can.
- The charging base does not come with a wall mount, so you have to purchase that separately.
Eureka EasyClean Corded Handheld Vacuum Review
Some may be struck by how different this vacuum looks from the previous two, but that’s just because it’s meant for a different type of cleaning – particularly strong for larger apartments and homes that have features such as stairs and upholstery, as well as for car interiors.
- This vacuum features a crevice tool and a Riser Visor, which can get to those hard-to-reach places and elevate the vacuum from carpeting or other sorts of difficult material. This is particularly helpful for carpeted stairs.
- The 20-foot cord can last for extended periods, so this vacuum is better for those who clean for long periods of time rather than those who do it in short bursts. The cord wraps around the vacuum for easy storage.
- At only 4.8 pounds, this vacuum is particularly lightweight, which makes for convenient cleaning, especially when you’re just using one hand.
- This vacuum isn’t cordless, and although the cord is long, you’ll still have to plug it in in order to use it.
- Unlike the other vacuums, this one has a hose that you can extend to reach more difficult spaces in corners and along walls.
Bissell Cleanview Deluxe Corded Handheld Vacuum Review
In terms of value, this vacuum is the best you can get; a low price, combined with a number of included features, means that you’re getting the most out of every dollar that you spend. It is also particularly durable, and meant to survive extended periods of cleaning.
- This lightweight vacuum nevertheless has a powerful motor that can be used to clean strong messes, especially those tangled in a carpet or rug.
- The dust cup is easy to empty in one motion.
- The multi-level filtration reduces the amount of household allergens present in your home, including dust and pet dander.
- The vacuum comes with several different nozzles, including a rubber contour nozzle, a hose-adapter nozzle, a two-foot hose, a wide-mouth tool, and a crevice tool. All of these allow you to reach different areas with more precision.
- The curved carrying handle has a power switch on the end to make it easy to turn on and off.
- The shape of this vacuum is a little bulkier, so it may be harder to store than some other vacuums, despite its compact size.
- As with the previous vacuum, this one has a cord, so you have to be plugged into an outlet in order to use it.
Black+Decker BDH2000PL MAX Lithium Pivot Vacuum Review
Black+Decker is a very well-respected brand, and it really delivers with this high-performance lightweight handheld vacuum. The key here is power – and in a small size, this vacuum delivers a lot of it, along with compact size and an innovative pivoting nozzle that concentrates power in one area.
- The power in this vacuum is bolstered by lithium technology used for its battery, which makes for strong suction that doesn’t fade away as time goes on.
- The three-stage filtration system ensures that even the finest particles are picked up by the vacuum, as its strong suction gets everything from larger crumbs to smaller dust particles.
- Inside the vacuum’s main chamber, a cyclonic action system spins dust and debris away from the filter, which keeps suction power strong by keeping the air pathway open rather than clogging it with everything that’s already been vacuumed.
- This vacuum is a bit pricier than the three mentioned previously, although it’s still not as expensive as the Dyson V6 Trigger.
- Although the nozzle on this vacuum is convenient, different attachments are sold separately, and thus add on to the cost of purchasing the vacuum, if you feel like you will need them.
Safety Tips for Using the Best Handheld Vacuum Cleaners
When using your handheld vacuum, keep the following tips in mind to stay safe:
- Keep it away from water: Make sure that nothing spills into the motor (or on the battery) of the vacuum, as this can permanently damage the technology. To this end, never vacuum a wet surface. If you find that your vacuum has been exposed to moisture, have it checked out by a technician.
- Unplug when not in use: Not only will you save power, but you will also prevent fires from breaking out in case something overheats or if the power surges.
- Don’t drop the vacuum: This can damage its internal mechanism or crack its dust cup. Have it checked out by a technician if you have dropped it.
- Don’t try to vacuum hard or sharp objects, such as broken glass or coins, with this vacuum; sweep everything up first, and then get the smaller particles with the handheld device.
- Keep your fingers away from moving vacuum cleaner parts, and keep young children away from the vacuum cleaner as well (although you can have older children participate in the cleaning, since they will be able to lift up the lightweight vacuum!).
So, What Handheld Vacuum is Right for You?
After researching the best handheld vacuums listed above, I found that my personal favorite was the Bissell Cleanview Deluxe Corded Handheld Vacuum, which not only offers the lowest price of the bunch, but also comes with plenty of added features that other vacuums are missing. However, if you’re willing to pay more for greater power, the Dyson V7 Trigger is the highest-quality model on this list. Once you decide on the handheld vacuum that is best for you and your household, go out and buy it so you can get started on more efficient cleaning as soon as possible!