A pool pump is an important piece of equipment for an above ground pool. It’s useful in ensuring the pool water is healthy and clean. It does this through a well-coordinated process where the water passes through the filter and subsequently to the chlorinator.
If you have a ground pool in your property, then such a pump will be a worthy consideration. When searching for the best above ground pool pumps, you’ll be amazed at the wide variety the market has to offer. It can be overwhelming trying to make the right choice, especially so, if it’s your first time.
Unfortunately, buying a poor quality pump will be a blunder you’d want to avoid since you’ll perpetually have a cloudy, smelly, and green pool. Also, you wouldn’t want a pump that sounds like a tractor’s engine roaring on your compound. Luckily, we have assembled top 5 above ground pool pump for your selection.
What is The Best Above Ground Pool Pumps
- 1 What is The Best Above Ground Pool Pumps
- 2 Top 5 Best Above Ground Pool Pumps in 2021
- 2.1 1. Best Overall: Hayward SP1580X15 Above-Ground Pool Pump
- 2.2 2. Best Pump For Intex Pool: Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump
- 2.3 3. Best Budget Pump: Harris H1572730 ProForce
- 2.4 4. Best for Water Circulation: Intex 28633EG Krystal Clear
- 2.5 5. Easy to Use: Sand master Sand Filter System
- 2.6 How to Choose the Best Pool Pump for Above Ground Pool
- 2.7 How To Set Up Above Ground Pool Pump
- 2.8 The Main Parts of an Above Ground Pool Vacuum
- 2.9 Final Words
- Best Overall: Hayward SP1580X15 Above-Ground Pool Pump
“We highly recommend the Hayward model for its durable construction. Now, the sturdy glass cover and a large bin reduce the maintenance schedule.”
- Best Pump For Intex Pool: Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump
“We highly recommend the Intex Krystal filter pump since it uses sand grains instead of filters. You’ll not regret buying this value pack since it includes a pressure gauge, strainer basket, motor, heavy-duty tank, and a timer.”
- Best Budget Pump: Harris H1572730 ProForce
“We highly recommend the Harris pump for its features that offer convenience and excellent performance. Since it comes with a one year warranty, you’ll have the confidence to shop.”
- Best for Water Circulation: Intex 28633EG Krystal Clear
“We highly recommend the Intex 28633EG Krystal Clear for its durability, efficiency, and ability to serve large pools. However, it requires regular maintenance since you must change the cartridge every two weeks.”
- Easy to Use: Sand master Sand Filter System
“If you’re on a lookout for an above-the-ground pump made of high-quality parts and advanced features, we recommend the Sand master Sand Filter System.”
Top 5 Best Above Ground Pool Pumps in 2021
How do you choose the best pump for above ground pool? What features do you need to look for? Sit back and relax. We did all the work for you. All you have to do is choose the one that will best meet your needs.
1. Best Overall: Hayward SP1580X15 Above-Ground Pool Pump
- Product Dimensions: (8.5 x 10 x 22.5) inches
- Weight: 4 ounces
- Durable PermaGlass XL
- Large bin
- Thick seal
- Intake and discharge
- 6-foot cord
- Self-lubricating bearings
- Auto start feature
Most people dread cleaning above the ground pool. They can be forgiven since it’s not an easy taskreaching the frame and scrubbing. To make sure you don’t end up with an aching back, we’ve selected the Hayward SP1580X15 model, which comes fitted with a filter to save you time and energy.
Here is the exciting part. First off, the pump is easy to set up and install. Putting together the pump is a breeze and will take you up to 20 minutes. This pump has a set of advanced features that ensure exemplary performance. Once you let it into the pool, you’ll have no trouble maintaining cleanliness.
With the construction consisting of a corrosion-resistant material, there is an assurance of longevity and low maintenance. As if that’s not enough, the interior consists of durable construction and an extender for heavy loads or debris.
Best of all is the sturdy glass cover that gives you a clear view of the inside. With a generously sized bin, the maintenance schedule is simple and far in between.
Also, the pump offers a drip-proof and heat resistant seal that guarantees the longevity of its motor. Other features include an outlet for receiving and discharging water. The 6-foot cord ensures convenience.
But wait, listen to this. There is overload protection that allows for shutoff in unusual situations. Also, it offers an automatic operation and restarts upon reaching safety level.
- Heavy-duty construction
- High performance
- Drip-proof and heat resistant seal
- Long cord for convenience
- Large bin
- Easy to set up and use
- Has an overload protection
- The warranty is only 90 days
- It requires an adapter when connecting to hoses.
2. Best Pump For Intex Pool: Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump
- Built-in time
- Overall size: (15.38 x 22.25 x 23.25)inches
- Weight: 30.1 pounds
- Six-way control valve process
- Sand filter
- Powerful motor
- Uses 100 to 120 AC power
Are you having trouble keeping your pool water clean and crystal clear? Worry less; we recommend getting this incredibly useful Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump.
If you’re wondering why we choose this model, the answer lies in the sand filter that requires less maintenance. Think about it. This is unlike the cartridge filters that need a regular change every two weeks.
When it comes to efficiency, this filter performs better and cleans the water more quickly.
Another interesting feature is the six function control valve that minimizes the maintenance schedule. The processes include straining, backwashing, rinsing, recirculation, draining, and closure.
There is an internal timer that adds to the convenience of cleaning the pool. And that’s just one side of the story, the strainer bin offers easy cleanup and guarantees the durability of the sand.
Also, this pump is highly efficient and generates 2000 gallons/hour. Thus, this makes it ideal for a 16 to 24 inches pool.
- Uses high-quality sand grains that require less maintenance
- Uses a six-way control system
- Has an in-built timer
- A large strainer bin
- Has a heavy-duty tank
- Highly efficient for large pools
- Tricky to install
3. Best Budget Pump: Harris H1572730 ProForce
- 5 HP Motor shaft
- Compliant with ETL/CSA requirements
- 115 volts
- Product Dimensions: (22 x 8 x 10.75) inches
- Weight: 22 pounds
- Discharge plugs
Obviously picking the right pump for your above the ground pump is no walk in the pack. More straightforwardly, the technical features are what determine the reliability of such equipment. That is why we choose the compact-sized Harris H1572730, which features a compelling design that makes it competitive.
You see, the brand is renowned for the provision of high-quality equipment, and this model here is by no means an exception.
It turns out that the Harris brand is easy to maintain thanks to the roomy strainer basket that can hold even large debris. This not only reduces the clean time interval but gives you peace of mind.
Moreover, the top cover is transparent, and this means you can see the contents inside. There is a drainage plug that comes with a package, and this offers convenience.
Since the motor is one of the most essential parts of any pump, this equipment has a highly effective motor that will stay active for many years. The shaft consists of durable stainless steel, which is rust-resistant.
Another useful feature is the heat resistant double-sized seal, which offers a protective cover that minimizes motor damage. Also, it offers nearly silent operation and thus doesn’t disturb your peace.
- Compact size
- Highly efficient motor
- High-quality material
- Has a double seal
- Silent operation
- Has no thermal protection
- Doesn’t have an on/off switch
4. Best for Water Circulation: Intex 28633EG Krystal Clear
- Dimension: 13.75 x 18.5 x 16 inches
- Weight: 19.5 pounds
- Cartridge filter
- Air valve
- Silt flush valve
Unlike the Sand Filter Pump, the Intex 28633EG Krystal Clear model uses a cartridge to filter the water. But wait, here is the catch; you’ll need to change the cartridge every two weeks.
Other than that, the setup is easy and straightforward and will only take you a few minutes to have everything together. After that, it’s easy to use due to the scheduled maintenance.
Even better, the valve is an important feature that we feel is worth mentioning. Here is why. It releases air from inside the filter tank and hence speeds the filtration process. But that’s not all; there’s also the silt flush valve at the base of the tank.
We’re not through yet; the equipment is highly efficient and can clean a large pool of up to 15,200 gallons. The pump is made of high-quality material that’s resistant to corrosion. It also has a double seal, and this ensures durability.
Lastly, it has an auto timer, which makes it easy to set the clean cycle depending on your requirements.
- Easy to set up
- Easy installation
- High quality
- Can serve a large pool
- Has a double seal for durability
- Has an auto-timer
- Requires maintenance every two weeks
5. Easy to Use: Sand master Sand Filter System
- Powerful 115V motor
- 12″ filter tank
- One year warranty
- Can support a 9600 gallons pool
- A four-way control valve system
The Sand Master Sand Filter System pump features a powerful motor that makes it suitable for extensive work. Yes, you read that right. It can deliver a powerful yet quiet punch in a 9600 gallons pool. No wonder we consider it the quietest above ground pool pump.
The sand master pump has limited maintenance since the four-way control valve allows for backwashing, straining, and rinsing and filtration.
Particularly, the four ways control valve ensures there’s a harmonized process of filtration. Another feature is the large tank that can hold up to 42 pounds of sand.
Since the pump uses sand instead of a cartridge filter, there’s less maintenance. Furthermore, the structure is a sturdy one and is backed by a one year warranty.
Setup is easy since you’ll only need to fit the hose and the fittings. Sounds impressive, right? Yes, you don’t need a technician to fix everything.
- Has a powerful motor
- Uses sand grains hence less maintenance
- Has a large tank
- Easy setup
- High quality
- Quiet operation
- The instructions on where to install the D-rings not clear
How to Choose the Best Pool Pump for Above Ground Pool
Several things come into play when shopping for an above ground pool pump. Keep reading as we tear apart the things to keep in mind.
Your pool capacity
Before you shop for the pump, you need to know the dimensions of your pool. Do you see where this is going? The pool capacity is the gallons of water it can hold. If you have a small pool, then a small machine will do the job and ensure reliable filtration. However, if your pool is largely sized, for example, 20000 gallons, then you’ll need a large machine with a powerful motor.
The durability of the pump goes hand in hand with the quality. Since the pool will be submerged in water, it’s important to choose one that’s corrosion-resistant. Stainless steel is the best option in such circumstances.
From our review, most pumps have a double cover that protects the interior and guarantees longevity.
A motor is the engine or the heart of the pump and spins properly inside a chamber or tank, thereby creating suction. Consequently, water is pulled and pushed from and into the pool. This motion allows the water to stay fresh, clear, and clean. Quite amazing! Only a powerful motor can help in eliminating contaminants.
Additionally, it doesn’t have to sound like a buzzing mosquito; however, the noise should be near silent and tolerable.
A built-in timer is an essential feature since it helps in controlling the flow rate. For instance, you can estimate the turnover time by setting the timer.
Water draining from the pool is led to the pump and the strainer basket. It then settles in the rotating turbine and then forced out through a pipe. Ideally, a larger strainer basket is better since it can accommodate a lot of water and speed the filtration.
A pump with low maintenance is desirable since it will save you money. From our review, sand filter pumps are better since they require low maintenance. However, cartridge-based pumps require a regular change every two weeks and thus are costly to maintain.
How To Set Up Above Ground Pool Pump
Proper installation of an above the ground pump ensures excellent performance and ability to keep the pool clean. The following steps will guide you during set up.
- Choose a suitable location for your pump. The best place is near the skimmer outlet. Ensure the pump sits flat on the surface and should be submerged. In any case, water should flow steadily to prevent air from being trapped in the pipes or horses.
- Attach the hose to the pipe just underneath the strainer basket. You can tighten with a clamp. Allow the open-ended side of the hose to connect to the return valve.
- Connect the pump to the filter for discharging the wastewater. Use pliers’ for tightening the connection.
- Prime the pump so that it fills the desired water level. To set the pump, fill with the filtration elements such as cartridge or sand.
- Finally, plug the pump to an electric connection. At this juncture, the pool automatically circulates inside the water, and filtration commences.
The Main Parts of an Above Ground Pool Vacuum
- The motor is the engine or the heart of the pump and helps to drive the turbines. Consequently, the water circulates and the filtration process commences.
- The Built-in timer is a useful feature that allows you to set the duration of the cleaning process. The preference helps in saving energy.
- The strainer basket is where the water collects before being flushed out.
- The tank or chamber determines the capacity of the pump, depending on the pool size.
- The filter is where the medium for the filtration. It can be sand or cartridge.
What’s the bottom line? From our review, the best above ground pool pumps is useful equipment that helps in circulating and recirculation of your pool water and helps prevent stagnation. Without a doubt, the best product will give you value for money. But one thing is for sure, and the performance must be top-notch as the end game is a clean and crystal clear pool.
Make no mistake about it. A high-quality pump will last for many years and save you money. With the options available, a sand filter pump seems to be a favorite due to the low maintenance. Needless to say, there’s no harm in picking a cartridge pump more so if you have a small pool.